Thursday, February 14, 2013

Comfort and Healing

Before I became a mom I remember seeing snotty-nosed little kids running around and wondered why in the world their moms couldn't keep those runny noses under control. Yes, I judged. And I am so sorry moms of the world! The Little One (TLO) has had this never ending runny nose now for weeks. We've salined and suctioned (I cannot recommend the Graco Nasal Aspirator enough! so much better than the bulb syringe!), we humidified, we Vicks'd and we medicated. But the runny nose never stopped. We went to the doctor with bronchitis and started nebulizer treatments which cleared up the wheezing, but the runny nose never went away. Her wheezing stopped, her cough got better...and then came enlarged lymph nodes, bilateral ear infections and 102.8 fever.  And that was after mommy being sick for 5 days. Now that we're treating that I'm praying that we are all on the path to good health. But here's the thing that kills me even when she has pain and fever, I still get smiles like the one on the right.

I also have a secret...I secretly enjoy the hours of snuggles I get when she's sick.  Those hours of snuggles just remind me that I wouldn't trade this life for anything in the world. Those hours of snuggles remind me of how much I prayed for this. I know those snuggles provide comfort to The Little One, but I am convinced that those hours of snuggling provide healing too. Those hours of snuggles remind me that I will never stop worrying about her! I am her mom.

I am TLO's mom, but I am someone else's baby. Yes, I am the baby in my family and after hating being called "the baby" for so many years, I am happy to say it now. I am the baby. And I just found out my mommy is sick. And she's not sick in the way that a little antibiotic or a breathing treatment will fix. She's sick in the way that doesn't show to anyone else and in the way that no daughter ever wants to hear. My mom has breast cancer. My mom has cancer and I'm a nurse. I'm a nurse and can't do anything to help her. I know it's a small tumor. I know it's treatable. I know that God heals and gives knowledge and talents to human hands to do surgery and offer treatment. But I also know that she's my mom. If I thought I could snuggle with my mom and provide healing and comfort the way I do for TLO I would do it. She doesn't fit that well on my lap though and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. So I'm asking for our Father to hold her in His arms instead and provide the healing and comfort. And I'm asking you to remember TLO's grandma in your prayers.   Next week we will meet with a doctor to start the treatment journey. I will do whatever I can to help her on this journey because she is my mom. And...I am her baby.

Thank You Jehova Rapha, the Lord who heals,  for helping my child while she's sick. Thank You for blessing me with the time to hold her closely this week. Thank You Lord for allowing the cancer inside my mom to be found early. But please provide Your comfort to our family as we figure out what happens next. Hold her in Your arms and provide the healing that only You can provide. Because she may be my mom, I may be her baby, but You are the Father to us all. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lana , You said that very well. I have been in your place as the daughter of one dealing with this terrible disease. We hoped and prayed and our family grew stronger. We will all be thinking of your Mom and you girls as you support her... and support your Dad. He will have to be strong and brave for everyone, and he has shown he can do that job well. Your extended family is here to support you in any way we can.
    We love you...
    And by the way... when Chris was a baby... we had the runny nose and the congestion... and about the age of two realized he had allergies... we took away the feathers and stuffed animals and smelly air freshners and candles... sorry he still battles it, but your baby's symptoms remind me of exactly what we went through before diagnosing it. Love you! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lana, I am so sorry. Will be thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lana, it sounds like we are both on a similar path. My mom too has breast cancer that is small and was found early, Praise Jesus! She has surgery tomorrow to remove the lumps and then we will see Dr. Ogundipe and Dr. Baker in about 10days. I hope and pray all goes well for your mother and your family. It is a roller coaster, but we will survive, because our God doesn't give us anything we can't handle.

    ReplyDelete